12 killed in China landslide
Beijing: Twelve people, who had gone missing following a landslide last week, were confirmed dead today after their bodies were retrieved from the debris in southwest China’s Yunnan Province.
The landslide, occurred on August 22, buried a section of road at a village in Funing County, killing three persons on the spot, authorities said.
Twelve people had gone missing even as the local government officials visited households in several villages near the site of the landslide, according to the county’s publicity office.
Witnesses said they saw people passing by the road when the disaster occurred. The landslide site is about 32 kms from the county seat, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More than 200 rescuers, 11 excavators and four sniffer dogs participated in the rescue mission.
On August 16, at least 64 people, missing after a massive landslide in country’s northwest Shaanxi Province, presumed dead after rescuers failed to detect life at the site four days after they were buried under about 1 million cubic metres of mud.