1984 riots: Court to consider closure report on Apr 22
New Delhi: A Delhi court today fixed April 22 for hearing CBI’s closure report in a case against Congress leader Jagdish Tytler in connection with the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
The hearing could not take place today as Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Saurabh Pratap Singh Laler was not holding court.
The magistrate is in Lucknow from March 20-28 for training purpose.
The court had earlier issued notice on the closure report to the complainant and victim, Lakhvinder Kaur, whose husband Badal Singh was killed during the riots, for today.
Advocate Kamna Vohra, appearing for Kaur, however, claimed that the victim has not yet been served the notice.
The court had earlier said “perusal of records revealed that the cancellation report was also filed earlier as regards accused Jagdish Tytler”.
This was the third time that Tytler was given a clean chit in the case by the investigating agency.
CBI had said it has conducted further probe in the case, as directed by a sessions court, and filed a closure report in the matter.
In April 2013, CBI was directed by a sessions court to further investigate the case as it set aside its earlier closure report.
Expressing displeasure over the CBI’s move of filing the closure report, senior advocate H S Phoolka, representing the riot victims, had said, “Why is it being done so secretly? Even the complainant has not been informed about it. It has been filed secretly.
“This shows an attempt has been made to get the closure report accepted by the court in hush-hush manner.”
He had said the closure report was filed on December 24, 2014 and he had come to know about it only now and that too, unofficially, through another lawyer, while the victim has not been informed till then.
The sessions court on April 10, 2013 had set aside CBI’s closure report giving clean chit to Tytler and ordered reopening of investigation into the killing of three persons.