25 workers trapped in China mine collapse
Beijing : Twenty-five workers were trapped underground today when a gypsum mine collapsed in China’s eastern Shandong Province, days after a massive landslide in a southern city killed four persons and left 75 others missing.
Altogether, 29 people were working in the shaft of the gypsum in Baotai Township, Pingyi County when it collapsed, a county government spokesman said.
Rescuers were trying to pull out six persons whose locations have been traced while 19 others remained missing, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Four persons were lifted above ground, the spokesman said. The accident at the mine, owned by the Yurong trade company, was likely caused by another collapse that hit a neighboring gypsum goaf, he said.
On December 20, a massive landslide struck an industrial estate in China’s manufacturing hub of Shenzhen, killing four persons and leaving 75 others missing so far.