Celebs auction their belongings for noble cause
Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan’s iconic sarod was among the 16 iconic memorabilia donated by prominent celebrities to have been auctioned here for the purpose of charity
Actor Rahul Bose, 45, and his NGO – The Foundation, hosted the auction of 16 iconic pieces from the 16 greatest Indians in their respective fields, here last night.
“‘The Idea of India’ was an auction of iconic memorabilia donated by 16 legendary Indians who with both, their genius and their generosity uphold the ideals that nest within the idea of India – Indians, who with their talent, intellect and world view, making every Indian proud,” Bose said.
The main auction, held at the black tie sit-down evening at a starred hotel here, saw the legends along with some of Mumbai’s glitterati.
The donors, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, Javed Akhtar, Shabana Azmi, Abhinav Bindra, Charles Correa, Amitav Ghosh, R K Laxman and Raghu Rai were among the first to arrive.
The main proceedings of the auction were followed by an informative audio visual of the incredible work done by The Foundation for children across the country from Andamans, Kashmir and now Manipur. The auction collectively raised Rs 1.74 crore in support of The Foundation.
“The ‘Idea of India’ auction was to reinforce the idea of India being an inclusive secular democratic land. The response to this evening reaffirms the fact that Indians want nothing more than to uphold the ideals,” Bose said.
The pieces that were up for auction this year were:
- Javed Akhtar – Hand-written poems: Muztar Khairabadi, Jan Nisar Akhtar, Javed Akhtar, Zoya and Farhan Akhtar
- Shabana Azmi – Gold Medal– ‘Best Student in Acting’, FTII, 1973
- Abhinav Bindra – Olympic gold medal winning rifle, Beijing, 2008
- Charles Correa – Kanchenjunga–Section, Elevation, Perspective 1973-82
- Amitav Ghosh – ‘The Hungry Tide’ Collaboration: Amitav Ghosh (Handwritten Passages)
- Dayanita Singh (Photograph)
- Subodh Gupta – Special piece of art created especially for The Foundation and ‘The idea of India’
- Zakir Hussain – Tablas: Ustad Allah Rakha, Ustad Zakir Hussain
- Ustad Amjad Ali Khan – Autographed Sarod (1990-2013)
- Aamir Khan – Autographed Bundi ‘Lagaan’ (2001)
- R K Laxman – Hand-drawn originals ‘Six decades of the common man’.
- Zubin Mehta – Autographed Baton
- Leander Paes – Autographed Racquet Grand Slam No. 14, US Open 2013
- Raghu Rai – Mother Teresa in Prayer, Kolkata, 1995, Edition 7/10 Baby Donkey, Haryana, 1965, Edition 2/10
- Amartya Sen – ‘The Argumentative Indian’–Annotated Speech autographed edition-‘Identity and Violence’
- Vikram Seth – Handwritten Sonnets 1.1 & 13.52: ‘The Golden Gate’ -autographed edition
- Dayanita Singh – In conversation DSAGRB 2013