Clarify or apologize for bribery charges: Goa CM
Parrikar to seek an apology from the music fest organizers
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has sought an apology from the organisers of Sunburn music festival over their reported allegations that they had to shell out money to seek permission for hosting the event in the beach state last year.
Parrikar told reporters yesterday at Candolim village, “I have seen the email by the organizer. They had leveled allegations last year (that they had to pay money to get the permission),” ay at, where the festival is being held since 2007. “Either they substantiate their allegations with the proof or they should say sorry for that,” he said.
Sunburn, an electronic dance music (EDM) festival, is being held in Goa since 2007. Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Micky Pacheco had claimed during a press conference last week that he received a text message from the Sunburn organizers (Percept Private Limited) who claimed that bribes were given last year to obtain the permission to hold the event in Goa.
Michael Lobo, a legislator representing Calangute constituency in which Candolim village is situated, told reporters yesterday that the organizers should apologize over their claim that the government was bribed. “They should apologize and take back their words,” he said.
Officials of Percept Private Limited, including its joint Managing Director Shailendra Singh, could not be contacted for comments on the issue. Sunburn festival is scheduled to be held in Goa on December 27 to 29.
While the festival has been traditionally held at Candolim, this time the government has asked the organizers to scout for another venue to hold the event.
State tourism minister Dilip Parulekar said the event would not be allowed at Candolim because of infrastructural constraints in handling such a big crowd.