Fire engulfs building in Pakistan, killing 6 children
Lahore: Six children of a family died in a fire near Shah Bagh in Pakistan’s Lahore city when flames erupted in a building due to a short circuit.
The fire started in Kot Khwaja Saeed area late yesterday. Fire and rescue teams reached the spot and extinguished the fire, but it was too late to save the children trapped inside.
The six siblings, aged between one and 12, were asleep in a room where the fire broke out. Two of the children died of suffocation while the rest succumbed to severe burns by the time rescue teams reached, the Dawn reported.
Police sources say the fire was caused by a short-circuit in an air-conditioner, which engulfed the room in the two-storey building within minutes.
The parents of the children were not at home at the time of the incident.