Indian missing in Iraq, still search: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: The Centre on Friday said it has not given up hope on the Indians missing in Iraq, and added that the reports of them having been killed are not confirmed.
Government believes that 39 Indians held hostage by ISIS in Iraq are still alive as there is no confirmation of reports that they have been killed, Parliament was told today amid concerns express by members over their fate.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj made statements in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha after a media report claimed that the 39 Indians, captured over five months back, had been killed by the dreaded Islamist group.
“There are contradictions in the story Bassi told… It is logical not to accept the statement. We have got six sources which said they have not been killed,” “We have got not just oral but written messages that say they are alive,” “For the sake of hope, we have to keep the search on,” Ms. Swaraj told the Rajya Sabha.
— Syed Akbaruddin (@MEAIndia) November 28, 2014