Man accused of financing Jakarta attacks arrested
Jakarta : Indonesian police announced today they had arrested a man they believe financed the deadly Jakarta attacks, alleging the suspect received the funds from the Islamic State group (IS).
National police chief Badrodin Haiti said 12 suspects had been detained in nationwide raids since Thursday’s attacks, including one accused of bankrolling the suicide bombings and shootings that left seven dead.
“One of the people detained had received financial transfers from ISIS to fund the operation,” he told reporters, using another acronym for IS.
The attack has been claimed by IS, which has ruthlessly carved out a self-proclaimed caliphate in Syria and Iraq, and Indonesian police have more specifically blamed a Southeast Asian affiliate of the group known as Katibah Nusantara.
Police also revealed that one of the militants killed in the brazen attacks was a previously jailed militant, who until last year was serving a prison sentence for involvement in an Islamist paramilitary camp.