Mumbai Gang-rape chargesheet to be filed in coming week: R R Patil
The charge sheet in the photojournalist’s gang-rape case would be filed in a week’s time by Mumbai police, ensured Patil
Mumbai: Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said hear today that the chargesheet in the photojournalist’s gang-rape case would be filed in a week’s time by Mumbai police. Addressing the press, Patil said, “The city police’s Crime Branch is probing the case and will file the chargesheet in a week. There is no need of delaying it. We will make the case very strong,” he said. The chargsheet will have the details of the victim’s ordeal, witnesses’ statements, crucial evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, phone-call records and identification parade information, among others. Police claimed they have more than sufficient evidence against the five accused – Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor. A crime branch official said, “We will file the chargesheet very soon with whatever evidence we have gathered so far. If we come across some more evidence at the later stage, we will file a supplementary chargesheet,” he said. The victim was gang-raped by the five on August 22 evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound with a male colleague on an assignment. Police has recently received a forensic report confirming that DNA samples found on the victim matched with those of the suspects. Police had also recovered five mobile phones, possessed by the accused at the time of the crime.