English | मराठी 

Parents get Rs 6.86 lakh for son’s death in road accident


Thane: The Rajasthan-based parents of a 25-year-old youth killed in a road accident here have been awarded Rs 6.86 lakhs compensation by Thane Motor Accident Claims Tribunal.

Nanuram’s parents Babulal Hanumandas Swamy and Durga Babulal Swamy, residents of Nagaur district in Rajasthan, stated in their claim that their only son was working as a machine operator with Bhuwalka Steel Company at Wada in Thane and earned a monthly salary of Rs 3,000.

On September 28, 2000, the autorickshaw in which he was travelling had been hit by a jeep coming from the opposite direction near Coca Cola company at Kudus.

Nanuram suffered severe injuries in the accident and died in hospital during treatment, the parents told the forum and claimed Rs 6.50 lakhs as compensation.

The respondents in the case were jeep owner Bharat Bhagwan Patil, autorickshaw owner Ankush Bendu Gaikar, Oriental Insurance Company, (insurer of autorickshaw) and New India Assurance Company Ltd (the jeep’s insurer).

Respondent’s counsel K V Poojari said that the jeep’s insurance was not valid at the time of the accident and hence, New India Assurance was not liable to pay the compensation.

The argument was accepted by the Tribunal which held the other three respondents were liable to pay compensation.

Tribunal member and Principal District Judge R R Gandhi, while granting the compensation of Rs 6.86 lakhs to the youth’s parents, recently ordered the jeep-owner to pay 60 per cent of the amount and the autorickshaw owner and its insurer to jointly and severally pay the remaining 40 per cent.

Leave a Reply