PMO seeks report on Assam-Naga clashes; MHA submits within hrs
New Delhi: The Home Ministry today submitted a report to the Prime Minister’s Office on the ongoing violence along the Assam-Nagaland border, where nine persons were killed and 10,000 people rendered homeless, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi sought details on it.
Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister Nripendra Mishra asked the Home Ministry to send details of the situation along the border in Golaghat district in Assam where violence erupted about a week ago after armed groups from Nagaland allegedly attacked villagers in Assam.
“We have already submitted the report to the PMO,” Home Ministry sources said. The report was sent within hours of the PMO’s communication seeking details of the situation.
The Home Ministry has already sent around 1,000 paramilitary personnel to be deployed along the Assam-Nagaland border to defuse the situation.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and his Nagaland counterpart T R Zelian will meet in Guwahati tomorrow to find a way out to resolve the dispute.
Gogoi was on Sunday hackled by some villagers when he had visited the violence-hit Uriamghat in Golaghat district. The Chief Minister had also alleged inaction by CRPF deployed at the troubled site to prevent the attacks from across the state border.
However, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju today refuted the allegation of Gogoi terming it as “baseless”.
At least 18 protesters were also injured after police fired rubber pellets and resorted to lathicharge at Rangajan in Golaghat district yesterday.
Police said a group of protesters turned violent and attacked the police and CRPF personnel deployed in the area following a road blockade agitation launched by them.
The protesters were agitating against alleged failure of the security forces to protect the people at Uriamghat against the attack by armed groups from Nagaland killing nine persons and rendering over 10,000 homeless last week.