Russian navy evacuates over 300 from Yemen: official
Moscow: A Russian navy ship has evacuated 308 people of various nationalities from war-torn Yemen, a defence ministry official said today.
The evacuees were en route to Djibouti and included 45 Russians, 18 Americans, five British nationals, 159 Yemenis and citizens of former Soviet states and the Middle East.
“All evacuated persons are safely on board the Russian ship which will deliver them to Djibouti by morning,” ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov told Russian agencies.
Russia has been evacuating its own and other citizens by air from the capital Sanaa and by sea from Aden since its consulate was hit on March 29.
A coalition led by Saudi Arabia began a push last month against the Huthi Shiite rebels backed by Iran.
Yesterday the Russian foreign ministry announced that it will attempt to evacuate more people tomorrow, but that continuing air strikes prevented planes from entering Yemeni airspace.
Another attempt will be made today, according to the Russian embassy in Yemen.
Russian media cited a source at the Sanaa airport as saying that the Saudi-led coalition carrying out the air strikes prohibited planes from flying over the conflict-torn country.