English | मराठी 

Sahara chief Subrata Roy arrested in Lucknow


Sahara Chief Subrata Roy was arrested in Lucknow today, after evading for two days a non-bailable warrant issued 

saharaLucknow/New Delhi: Sahara Chief Subrata Roy was arrested in Lucknow today, after evading for two days a non-bailable warrant issued by the Supreme Court for his failure to appear before it in a case of non-refund of Rs 20,000 crore to investors.

Capping a day of dramatic developments, 65-year-old Roy surrendered before police this morning after calling them to Sahara Shaher.

“Roy has been arrested and will be produced in court later today,” SP Trans-Gomti Habibul Hasan said.

Senior advocate Ram Jethmalani told a Supreme Court bench headed by Justice K S Radhakrishnan that Roy is in police custody in Lucknow and pleaded for recall of NBW issued on February 26.

He submitted that the special bench, which is hearing the case, should take up the application today itself. But, his plea was turned down as the judge said it is not possible for the special bench to assemble today.

The day started with Subrata Roy issuing a signed two-page statement, claiming he was not absconding and was ready to“unconditionally follow” Supreme Court’s direction.

Minutes after his arrest in Lucknow, son Seemanto addressed a hurriedly called press conference in Delhi and said his father was cooperating with the authorities and he had wilfully submitted before the police.

There were initially conflicting reports with speculation that Mr. Roy could himself be present at the press meet in Delhi.

A team of Delhi police at the hotel venue added to the suspense. Another report said that he may still be in Lucknow.

Mr. Seemanto Roy also said that arrest would not impact the business of the group, which claims to have a networth of over Rs 68,000 crore with lakhs of employees.

Mr. Seemanto said that Sahara chief had come to Delhi on February 24 to appear before the Supreme Court on February 26.

“He is very attached to his mother and had to go back to Lucknow due to her illness. He had only sought exemption only for a day from personal appearance before the Supreme Court.

But he was not granted a short relief,” he said.

“The condition of mother continues to remain fragile and he was hoping for a relief from Supreme Court,” he said while trying to explain the delay in his submission before police.


Leave a Reply