English | मराठी 
    
|

Non-appearance of witnesses hampers Salman Khan’s trial

salman_khan

A trial in the hit-and-run case involving actor Salman Khan is scheduled to begin today before a Sessions court

salman_khan

Mumbai: The trial in the 2002 hit-and-run case involving actor Salman Khan did not begin today as the witnesses did not appear in the sessions court.

The first three witnesses were slated to be examined today by the prosecution. One of them is the owner of a laundry in suburban Bandra, where the actor had run over his vehicle on people sleeping on the footpath, while the other two are panch witnesses.

Prosecutor Jagannath Kenjalkar told the court that the laundry owner could not appear as he had been paralysed. One of the panch witnesses was not traceable, while the other had gone to Bangalore.

The judge D W Deshpande adjourned the matter to April 8 when the prosecution would examine another set of witnesses, who were injured in the mishap.
Salman also did not come to the court as he has secured permanent exemption from appearance. His lawyer Srikant
Shivade was, however, present.

Sessions judge D W Deshpande had ordered a fresh trial in this case.

Although the prosecution has given a list of 64 witnesses, it would not examine all of them, according to the
public prosecutor.

The prosecution had earlier submitted documents such as death certificate (of the person who was killed in the mishap)
and injury certificates (of those who were injured in this case). The court had admitted these documents after Salman’s lawyer submitted his say on admissibility of the documents.

Salman is facing the charge of running over his Toyota Land Cruiser on a group of persons sleeping on a footpath outside a bakery in suburban Bandra on September 28, 2002, killing one and injuring four others.

On December 5 last year, the court had ordered a fresh trial on the ground that the witnesses had not been examined in the context of aggravated charge of culpable homicide, which was invoked against the actor midway through the proceedings.

The charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder attracts a 10-year sentence. The actor had earlier been tried by a magistrate for a lesser offence of causing death by negligence, which entailed an imprisonment of two years.

The case, dragging on for over a decade, had taken a twist earlier this year when the magistrate, after examining 17 witnesses, held that the charge of culpable homicide was made out against Salman and referred the matter to a sessions court, as cases under this offence are tried by a higher court.

PTI

 

Mumbai, Mar 26 (PTI) The trial in the 2002 hit-and-runcase involving actor Salman Khan did not begin today as thewitnesses did not appear in the sessions court.The first three witnesses were slated to be examinedtoday by the prosecution. One of them is the owner of alaundry in suburban Bandra, where the actor had run over hisvehicle on people sleeping on the footpath, while the othertwo are panch witnesses.Prosecutor Jagannath Kenjalkar told the court that thelaundry owner could not appear as he had been paralysed. Oneof the panch witnesses was not traceable, while the other hadgone to Bangalore.The judge D W Deshpande adjourned the matter to April 8when the prosecution would examine another set of witnesses,who were injured in the mishap.Salman also did not come to the court as he has securedpermanent exemption from appearance. His lawyer SrikantShivade was, however, present.Sessions judge D W Deshpande had ordered a fresh trial inthis case.Although the prosecution has given a list of 64witnesses, it would not examine all of them, according to thepublic prosecutor.The prosecution had earlier submitted documents such asdeath certificate (of the person who was killed in the mishap)and injury certificates (of those who were injured in thiscase.The court had admitted these documents after Salman’slawyer submitted his say on admissibility of the documents.

 

Leave a Reply

*