Charlie Hebdo will come out next week, despite bloodbath
Paris: The French satirical newspaper whose staff was decimated in an Islamist attack will come out as scheduled next week, one of its surviving staffers told AFP on Thursday.
Charlie Hebdo will publish next Wednesday to defiantly show that “stupidity will not win,” said columnist Patrick Pelloux, adding that the remaining staff will soon meet.
“It’s very hard. We are all suffering, with grief, with fear, but we will do it anyway because stupidity will not win,” he said.
He added that the publication would have to be put together outside Charlie Hebdo’s headquarters which were not accessible following the massacre.
Twelve people, including five cartoonists, were killed in Wednesday’s attack that also left two policemen dead.
2 suspects in Paris magazine shooting spotted in north France
Two brothers suspected of having gunned down 12 people in an Islamist attack on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo were spotted this morning and are armed, sources close to the manhunt said.
The manager of a petrol station near Villers-Cotteret in the northern Aisne region “recognised the two men suspected of having participated in the attack against Charlie Hebdo”, the source said.
Policewoman shot by gunman near Paris dies: police
A policewoman who was shot by a gunman wearing a bullet-proof vest just outside Paris has died and a second victim is in serious condition, police said today.
The man escaped after the attack this morning, which comes just a day after a deadly Islamist assault on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo left 12 dead, although no link has yet been established between the two incidents.
Several attacks against Muslim targets
Muslim places of worship in two French towns were fired upon overnight, leaving no casualties, prosecutors said on Thursday.
Three blank grenades were thrown at a mosque shortly after midnight in the city of Le Mans, west of Paris. A bullet hole was also found in a window of the mosque.
In the Port-la-Nouvelle district near Narbonne in southern France, several shots were fired in the direction of a Muslim prayer hall shortly after evening prayers. The hall was empty, the local prosecutor said.
An explosion at a kebab shop near a mosque in the eastern French town of Villefranche-sur-Saone on Thursday morning also left no casualties. Local prosecutors have described it as a “criminal act”.
Two seriously hurt after man fires on police outside Paris
A policewoman and a city employee were seriously hurt today after a man opened fire with an automatic rifle outside Paris, police said, but no link has yet been established with the deadly attack on a satirical magazine.
The gunman is still on the run, said Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve — who rushed to the scene at Malakoff just south of the city — contradicting information given earlier by a source close to the case, who said the suspect had been detained.
Police initially said the two victims were critical, but Cazeneuve said just the policewoman was fighting for her life.
The incident comes on a day of mourning in France after Islamist gunmen stormed the office of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo yesterday, killing eight journalists, two police and two others.
The men are still thought to be on the run, and there has so far been no claim of responsibility for the massacre that has deeply shocked France.