English | मराठी 
    
|

UK post-mortem on Indian-origin doctor who died in Syria

abbas-khan-coffin

A post-mortem has been carried out on a 32-year-old Indian-origin British surgeon who died while in detention in strife-torn Syria.
abbas-khan-coffinLondon: A post-mortem has been carried out on a 32-year-old Indian-origin British surgeon who died while in detention in strife-torn Syria.

The examination was conducted by Dr Nat Cary, one of the UK’s leading forensic pathologists, at Queen’s Hospital in Romford, Dr Shah Abbas Khan’s family said in a statement.

Assistance was provided by Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command to enable the post-mortem to be conducted “as effectively as possible”, the statement said.

“The coroner, with the family’s consent, agreed upon this sensible course of action,” it added.

It is not expected that the findings will be made public until they have been considered by the coroner.

The orthopaedic surgeon from south London was on the verge of being released when his family were told of his death last week.

His relatives have said he was the victim of a political murder, but the Syrian government said he committed suicide.

British Prime Minister David Cameron has called for those responsible for the death of the surgeon while in custody in Syria to be held to account.

He wrote a condolence letter to Dr Khan’s mother Fatima on Friday, describing her son’s death as an “appalling tragedy”.

The letter reads: “Abbas’ death is a sickening and appalling tragedy and it is right that the Syrian regime should answer for it.

Khan had gone to Syria last year to work in a field hospital in a rebel-controlled area.

The doctor working at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) in north-west London had entered Syria without a visa after bring moved by the plight of refugees and worked in camps in Turkey, his family said.

PTI

Leave a Reply

*